The Mess Hall, one of the best in CBD

I find always quite difficult to find a nice place in CBD where you can have a mix of good food, coffee in a pretty and charming café and adequate service. Which one of the four is less important, probably the service I must say, as long as they are polite and they do not have attitude, and some cafes have. Which one is more important? Difficult to say but if I find myself in a charming place, I somehow tend to forgive mistakes. The Mess Hall is one of these places which I feel comfortable in and I could spend easy the all morning drinking coffees and reading the newspaper. What about the food, just good. It is simple in some cases, based on yoghurt, berries and porridge (all at about 10$) and more "creative" in other cases. I could not find another word for that, because you can see an Italian inspiration in some breakky, but being an Italian, I never seen something similar in Italy, maybe because the typical breakfast over there is an espresso and cornetto (of course, quickly, because your car outside is not well parked, police is around, you heard of a crash outside, and many other things). You add bruschetta with Bulgarian Feta, and my wife, being Greek, has an hard attack. But I always keep saying that without testing, or experimentation, we would not see many great food dishes and, of course art generally speaking.
I wanted to have an espresso here, and it was a good decision. It was creamy, full, tasty. It did not excel in any particular taste but it was well balanced, which I like it a lot. Well done.
Overall a good experience, and being so close to many offices, no wonder it is always busy; add they have two floors, second floor is more for lunch than breakky, they have an outside area and the bar has a lot of light, beautiful in a sunny day.

Rating (5=too good to be true,1=i saw and tasted much much better)
Coffee: 4 the way I like it, simple and well balanced
Food: 3.5 adapting Italian food to breakky is hard, but a good try
Service: 4.5 probably one of the top 5 or 3 in CBD
Place: 3 nothing to call home about but not bad at all

51 Bourke St
Melbourne CBD
messhall.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment