Las Chicas, only the best

This is the area I like most of Melbourne, maybe. Why? Because it is so close to the sea and it is not as touristic. Going to Acland Street for a coffee is like having breakfast on vacation, lots of people around with maps and Lonely planet guides, checking for the best café, the best restaurant or simply the best place to have a beer. Of course many old and famous cafés in Acland street with lots of nice cakes, but at what a price. The coffee is ok to be positive and the cakes overpriced, but well that is normal with tourists, and you accept it once you travel, but not when you "play" at home.
St.Kilda East reminds me a bit of Eastern Europe, especially when I go there in a working day. People average age is well older than the one you find in most of central Melbourne area, but that is changing, more young's have noticed this area and they are moving here. But it is not the type of crowd that you expect from a sea side area, it is more similar to the Fitzroy crowd, young and bohemian……still need to understand what does really mean bohemian. I tried to trace the etymology, or better say the real meaning, I found few explanations:
Inhabitant of Bohemia…..this is not just right as Bohemia is in Czech Republic as far as I remember
A person, as an artist or writer who lives and acts free….these are not really the people around in Fitzroy or St.Kilda East, they can't live there, clearly too expensive to live and act free. Not too mention the people at the bar, bohemian maybe but they read The Age and maybe also the financial pages
Gypsy, and also here I can't find any. First of all because the Australian government would not give a VISA to a gypsy, secondly because being gypsy means that they do not have a fixed place to live, but the move constantly….you may remember the beautiful move "Chocolate"
Yes, ok, maybe I am a bit out of subject here, from coffee to word etymology it is a bit too much, indeed.
Back to Las Chicas, which is a Spanish word for girls, even more confusing in a bohemian area. Said that it really seems that most of the customers do not really complain about this confusion, and concentrate more on food and coffee. And I am one of them. I came here after the gym, so my appetite was at an high level. This is another of these place I have seen many times, always full, and always wanted to have more than just a quick coffee. And here is the time. Let's go down to the real business.
Service good from the real start, you get into the place and you are asked straight away what are you looking for, if a table, they try to organise it for you, well done. The menu was great, I was hungry and there was a good selection of everything you wanted to, probably one of the best choice in Melbourne central area. As I always said in my blog, the coffee has to be good but the breakky has to be comparable, otherwise, sorry you won't be in my Top10 (again a personal taste). The latte arrived at the right temperature, good taste, a good blend was selected, probably not the best, but with latte I do not expect it, the milk would dilute it anyway.
All in all probably one of the best place in Melbourne, it all came to my table at the right time, and I was even moved to a better table before the food arrived, without asking it. The menu was a little book, with a vast choice and the latte just right.

Rating (5=too good to be true,1=i saw and tasted much much better)
Coffee: 3.5 good, what you would expect from a similar place
Food: 5 this place knows its business, call it breakky, lunch or brunch, it is all good here
Service: 4 you get what you expect and more
Place: 4 lots of theatre and concert leaflets on the wall. Bohemian, in a way that somehow it is similar to the Uni cafés in Prague. I like it

Las Chicas
203 Carlisle St
Balaclava/St.Kilda East (just next to the Balaclava station)

Ps : photo and movies to be loaded

No comments:

Post a Comment