Galleon Café, not anymore a secret in St.Kilda

This is my favourite café in St.Kilda. I am really sorry for all the others cafes and I believe my preference is more due to historical reasons than anything else. It was the first cafes I have been when I arrived in Australia/Melbourne and it was the café I went after I bought the house in St.Kilda, just to add a bit of caffeine to the adrenaline you have from an auction. Nevertheless, I asked myself why I like this place so much, and there is not only one answer to that I believe. Let's be pragmatic:
-1- the place is cool, 3 little tables outside and many more inside. I wonder if they bought the all furniture in the 70s, because it looks so retro that I would not be surprised to see sooner or later Andy Warhol's ghost. I remember that my mother had a similar table when I was a kid, and it was sooo trendy, it was '73.
-2- the service is great, I think the core of the guys serving the tables is the same since I arrived here in Australia, in 2006. They have good and bad days like everybody, but I still have to see a bad day.
-3- breakfast is just good, and you can change it everyday, not having the same dish for a month I guess. This is not a place to taste the coffee, this is a place for latte and breakky. And this is why you do not really smell coffee here, which is the only drawback I can really find
-4- location, just in the centre of St.Kilda, far away from Fitzroy Street, which is good in the night but not really in the morning and so close to the beach. A perfect place after the St.Kilda Market on Sunday morning.
-5- not very busy in the week, but full in the weekend, especially on Sunday. Take it easy
I have been here many times and I will go back again, such an easy and good place. Give a check.

Rating (5=too good to be true,1=i saw and tasted much much better)
Coffee: 3 good latte, but this is not the highlight of the cafe
Food: 4.5 very good selection and good quality as well
Service: 3.5 good and the usual ones for a long time
Place: 4 70's all very nice and nicely mixed

9 Carlisle Street
St.Kilda (next to the new super station, 16 or 96)

Ps : photo and movies to be loaded

No comments:

Post a Comment