Arcadia, in the middle of Gertrude Street

Gertrude Street is one of the most know street in Melbourne area, because of the nice restaurant, because of the retro art shops, interesting pubs, outstanding architecture (including the Community Housing Development, one of the first in Melbourne, an example of inclusion and not separation, where the less lucky people are moved to the ghettos, far away from the city, as it happened in Paris, with all the problems that still the French capital is experiencing). Sorry I am Italian, and my political background has to come out sometime. Did I forget to mention anything in this nice street? Oh yes, the café scene and lifestyle. Located almost on the border with Fitzroy, has a mix clientele, mostly in the middle class, after a nice coffee and the daily newspaper. It is hard to get a table in the weekend as the café is not as big, but waiting for few minutes is not a huge issue in this street, lots of interesting people and shops around, difficult to get bored. I was almost sure about the quality of the breakky as soon as I stepped in. A big black board with all the specials, many available, and a fantastic menu to choose from. My appetite could be well satisfied I thought. And reality was……fantastic. Really great breakfast, based on eggs and small meatballs, well impressed. Coffee was an experience as well, unfortunately not good experience. The waiter forgot first to place my order, than she placed the order, than I waited and after a long while, after the breakky was all gone (well, in my stomach), it arrived. It must have been only that waiter and just in my case, because O could see coffees going to all tables but mine, so I take is as an unlucky experience, but surely it will not happen again (hopefully). Having the breakfast without any coffee is like going to a pub and not drinking, or even worst ask for a beer and it arrives when the pub is closing.

Rating (5=too good to be true,1=i saw and tasted much much better)
Coffee: 3 Average good latte
Food: 4 well done and reasonable price too
Service: 2 it should have been less than that, but I believe it was just an unfortunate case
Place: 4.5 I like it, they way it is organised, with all the adds on the left wall and newspapers around

193 Gertrude St
Fitzroy

Pics and video to add

No comments:

Post a Comment