7 Seeds Specialty Coffee

I can see two good things about these reviews I am currently writing:
-1- I was not born in Melbourne and I moved here only 4 years ago. I am selecting the cafes based on a directory, location (CBD and around) or just because I saw them from outside and they looked interesting. Being born in Melbourne is a good thing of course, outside of these reviews :-D
-2- I grew up in Italy, I had my first coffee when I was probably 2 years old and I got addicted. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
This is to say I never investigate a place before going there, this would somehow "pollute" my judgment and I would have a prejudice, either in a good or a bad way. And my comments would just follow the mass, which may do anyway, but at least I am sure they are 100% genuine.
This morning I was looking on the web for the exact address of Seven Seeds, the café I visited on Saturday, once I was exploring a bit of the unknown Carlton. Suddenly Google provided thousands of results with links to the best Blogs and Newspaper sites. Clearly I ended up in a famous place. Let's go to what I wanted to write, and if I would change it after reading some of people's comments.
The location is hard to find, not because it is in a small lane, but because the café is gray, at the basement of a gray warehouse, in a gray street. I though I was colour blind, but luckily my wife decided to wear a violet shirt and I felt much better. Once I got in, I felt like in a….warehouse, with bricks and cheap wood, and that is what I expected from outside, therefore well done. They added few cool bikes on the wall and tables around. The smell was already arriving to my nostril, and this is what you want in a café. I love food with my coffee, but it would hate to smell food in a café. It's like having a coffee at McDonald. It can be as good as you want but you smell hamburger, that is why they do not sell it….actually they do now, I know it is sad.
I placed the order and I waited I waited I waited. The first latte arrived, I waited, I waited and the second latte arrived. Not great, isn't it. I never complain in a bar or restaurant, if I don't like it I don't go back. But indeed I was surprised about the service. The food list is small and you don't come here for food, that's it. The coffee taste was great, and I realised straight away I should have ordered an espresso, to taste it even more, stupid me. But I wanted to have some breakky as well and latte was just the right companion.
Around you can see a class room and, in the back, the place where the roast locally the coffee, and that explained the beautiful smell. For a quick and sneaky view, go to the toilette, the roaster is almost on the way.
Would I suggest this place? For the coffee absolutely, I can compare it to the Brother Baba Budan one (I found out later it is the same owner) or to St.Ali (I found out later it was the previous owner). For everything else look somewhere else.

Now, after reading some comments and blogs and Newspapers review, would I change above? Not really, I may be unpopular here, but you can have greater food and service in many other places. No, coffee is hard to beat!!!

Rating (5=too good to be true,1=i saw and tasted much much better)
Coffee: 4.5 Very very good
Food: 1 Poor
Service: 2 Lots of smiles but something I would change if I would be the owner
Place: 3.5 I always like this warehouses places, the architecture is just intriguing

7 Seeds Specialty Coffee
www.sevenseeds.com.au
106 Berkeley St
Carlton

No comments:

Post a Comment